Brewery offers Michigan-made fall beers

Fall is officially here. That means a new semester, pumpkin spice-flavored everything and time to break out your jackets and boots. But don’t forget about the seasonal beers.

Many local bars have special brews on tap to reflect the fall season and the Corner Brewery, 720 Norris St. in Ypsilanti, is definitely one of them. The brewery is currently offering four beers that they consider to be their seasonal brews.

Brian McShane, a bartender at the brewery, said they try to make sure the seasonal beers “warm your bones,” and with the fall beers all being over 7 percent alcohol by volume, they are sure to do just that. All of the seasonal beers are made on-site using their solar powered brewery, including the six-packs they sell. Now that’s beer you can feel good about drinking.

“The Violin Monster Autumn Ale” is the brewery’s primary fall beer, with flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar that gives this rich full-bodied beer a traditional fall feeling. Named for the Violin Monster of Ann Arbor, this beer is full of spice and at 9.5 percent ABV, it packs quite a bite.

With 20 pounds of coffee per 14 barrels of beer, which works out to be about two-thirds of a pound per keg, “Espresso Love Breakfast Stout” tastes exactly how it sounds. The espresso flavored is balanced with creamy maltiness and used from the coffee from the Ugly Mug Cafe, 317 W. Cross St. At 7.7 percent ABV “Espresso Love” will warm you up just like a cup of coffee would.

“Phat Abbot Belgian Dubbel,” clocking in at 8 percent ABV, is made with Trappist yeast, spicy hops, and dark Belgian candy sugar. This dark ale also has complex flavors of caramel, toffee and dried fruits and is offered from now through December, making it a perfect beer to compliment the season.

The fourth seasonal beer is the “Hop Town Brown,” a “brown ale that drinks like an IPA,” according to ArborBrewingCompany.com. The American hops have a citrusy flavor balanced with nutty, toasty malts. The site recommends pairing this beer with a spicy chili, a perfect way to warm up when it’s cold outside.

There are so many fall flavors out there to try at the brewery, but if you feel more like staying home there are 6-packs available at The Keg Party Shoppe, 534 N Huron St., that also have fall theme beers. Ichabod Ale from New Holland is pumpkin flavored ale.
Short’s Brewing Company offers an Autumn Ale, which is a malty amber ale with caramel flavors and notable hops or Bell’s Brewing Best Brown, a toasty brown ale with caramel and cocoa flavors.
These are all Michigan-brewed beers that will keep you warm and kick off the fall season