US NEWS FEDBUDGET 7 ABA

Government or Circus?

We’ve been bamboozled! Swindled! Hoodwinked! Hornswoggled!
What we’ve lost is a governing body that works for the people. Instead, we got a cut-rate “West Side Story” on our hands.

The circus usually comes to town once a year, but then again, Washington, D.C. is a special kind of town. The Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus has set up permanent shop on Capitol Hill all on the taxpayers’ dime – or at least that is how it appears.

How can anyone watch what is happening in Congress today and not feel like it’s April Fools’ Day? Or maybe it’s more like Groundhog Day. They say hell is repetition and Congress is taking it full tilt.

Comparing Congress to these great bastions of art is, well, an insult to the arts.

All that can really be said is that Congress is everything but for the people anymore. There’s no “of the people, by the people” mantra echoing through the halls of Congress. It’s been replaced by the pitter-patter of gremlins, better known as lobbyists, scurrying into Congress members’ pocketbooks.

With the federal government shutdown in full swing, it is hard not to wonder what games Congress and particularly the Republican Party are playing at, though according to Speaker of the House John Boehner, “This isn’t some damn game.”

Well it certainly appears that way, Mr. Speaker.

The crux of the issue arises from the GOP not passing a budget because even though the Affordable Care Act (ACA) has already passed all three branches of government, they want to defund or delay it. Regardless of the effectiveness of the ACA, it is still the law and the money has already been earmarked for the act.

President Barack Obama signed the Affordable Care Act into law in March 2010. The Supreme Court ruled that the gist of the act was legal in June 2012, saying it worked the same way as a tax.

It doesn’t look like Congress is compromising anytime soon, either. With millions of federal works on furlough and numerous services and departments discontinued until the GOP takes its peer-mediation course, this doesn’t bode well for the American peoples’ confidence in the federal government.

Talk about a grudge.

It’s frustrating to see our elected officials playing dress-up politician when our country has so many major issues that need addressing. Education, poverty, gun violence, homelessness, unemployment, veteran affairs and numerous other issues could be debated and solved instead of this donkey show.

This is why we vote – to make sure these things don’t happen. So that maybe, for once, Congress will work together to pass bills that make America a better place instead of dividing us like it always seems to do.

Politics aside, holding the peoples’ government hostage is childish. There is a process to fix things that may or may not be favorable to the people, and it’s called democracy.

Congress, you should really look into trying it out sometime. It could be a nice fit for once.