Pastor's preaching causes stir around campus

A traveling minister known only as Pastor Don Williams and his companions began preaching to students last Wednesday near the Student Center and stirring up controversy among groups on campus.

Don and Cheryl Williams, founders of By Thy Spirit Ministries, have visited many universities, campuses and cities from California to New York. Williams has been a traveling minister for more than 20 years, visiting states across the U.S. as well as countries such as Africa and Thailand and witnessing to curious onlookers.

Through the use of visual aids and box-top preaching, Pastor Don and his assistants shouted the praises of their God as well as words of warning for the eternal afterlife. Williams stood willing to greet and speak with any students interested in hearing more.

“His right to free speech is protected on campus,” EMU student Jordan Ditsch said. “While I disagree with it, he has the right to say what he wants just as I do.”

“It doesn’t bother me,” Erica Cooper, criminology major, said. “As long as they aren’t harming anyone, its fine.”

While most students who passed by weren’t bothered by the minister’s shouting, some had varying opinions on the group’s actions.

“I saw people walking by earlier laughing,” student Sarah Powell said. “He’s entitled to his opinion as long as he’s not shouting.”

“He shouldn’t be preaching hate,” said student Bethany Hale. “He’s going about it the wrong way.”

The ministers eventually moved to several different locations before settling near the Pray-Harold building. There they were met by a group with a different opinion. Members and friends of the Levayan Satanism stood close by the minister group with a message of their own.

“We are ridiculously protesting the ridiculousness of this protest,” said member John Click.

Pastor Williams handed out information pamphlets to interested students regarding the secrets of forgiveness of sin and salvation. The Satanism group was also handing out sheets on the 11 satanic rules of the earth and speaking with students that approached for more information.

The member responsible for organizing the group was Dan Dane.
“We have empathy for the students on campus that are being told they are going to hell because of their belief system,” Dane said.

In order to make their statement, the Satanism group stood silently, occasionally wishing a passerby a nice day. They disagreed with the ministers’ method, calling it a method of aggressive conversion.

Pastor Williams stood witnessing to students well into the late afternoon while students supporting the pastor’s efforts entered into heated debates with the Satanism group members standing nearby.