Writer examines top 10 Halloween hip-hop songs

I love Halloween. Not so much for the costumes, but for the candy, the Devil’s Night pranks and in anticipation of what the girls’ costumes will look like. Who doesn’t love curling up with some apple cider with a splash of vodka, and watching “Friday the 13th”? The energy is really dope though and it has me thinking of some great horror themed hip-hip songs. So here we go, without further ado, my top 10 hip-hop songs for Halloween.

10. Dr. Dre – “Murder Ink” – From Dre’s legendary “2001” album. The song, which features Hittman and Ms. Roq, samples the “Halloween” theme by John Carpenter. A no-brainer.

9. DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince – “Nightmare on My Street” – Before he was “Will Smith,” the Fresh Prince himself along with Jeff and Ready Rock made some pretty good rap songs. This is the third single from “He’s the DJ, I’m the Rapper.”

8. Esham – “Midnight Hour” – A pillar of Detroit hip-hop.

7. Whodini – “Freaks Come Out at Night” – More about the harsh realities of urban life in the Rotten Apple, still a staple on Halloween nevertheless.

6. Ice Cube – “Dr. Frankenstein” – Halloween South Central style. Cube takes you on a ride through the ghetto on this banger from “War & Peace Vol. 1.”

5. Ras Kass – “Interview with the Vampire” – Kass shows you why he’s otherworldly as a writer on this gem from 1998’s “Rassassination.”

4. Mobb Deep ft. Raekwon – “Nighttime Vultures” – Back when Mobb Deep was actually, like, good.

3. D-12 – “Devil’s Night” – A tribute to the night before Halloween where there are no rules and the hood is up to no good. The late Proof and Bugz would have been proud – may they rest in peace.

2. Eminem and Royce da 5’9” – “Scary Movies” – Bar none, one of the best tracks ever from Marshall. One of the ones that really made me take note of the Motor City Maniac. That Royce guy isn’t bad either.
*
1. Geto Boys – “Mind Playing Tricks on Me”* – Welcome to Houston, Texas! Try not to walk down the wrong street in the 4th Ward. From the classic 1991 platinum album, “We Can’t Be Stopped,” this track is a Halloween classic. Bushwick Bill’s scene-stealing third verse kept my ass in the house for a couple of years upon listening. One of the first hip-hop songs I ever heard and still a memorable song two decades strong.