Workshop teaches particpants diabetes management

Nicole LaDue, Blue Care Network educator, conducted a diabetes prevention and management workshop Thursday in McKenny Hall, Room 100.

LaDue is a certified health educator with a bachelor’s degree in health and wellness from Oakland University.

“My great-grandfather died from diabetes,” Teron Turner, captain of the track and field team at Eastern Michigan University, said. “To try and prevent it I stay away from foods that have an excessive amount of artificial sugar. I believe the more people are aware of the disease the more it will push people to live healthier lifestyles.”

According to LaDue, there are 25.8 million adults and children living with diabetes in America. In 1994, approximately 4.5 percent of the people living in Michigan were diagnosed with the disease. It was reported in 2012 that more than 7 percent of Michigan’s population currently has diabetes.

LaDue said the cost for diabetes health care in America is approximately $254 million and health care is 2.3 times higher for those diagnosed with the disease. Men tend to be more susceptible to diabetes than women. Other ethnic groups, such as Latinos and African Americans, are more likely to be diagnosed for reasons that are currently unknown.

“Diabetes can be reversed with a strict diet and workout regimen,” LaDue said. “Exercise is a natural form of medicine. The key is to move more and sit less.”

Kyle Smith, journalism major at EMU, said he thinks it’s especially important for ethnic groups to be aware of diabetes prevention.

“I find it odd that ethnic groups are at a higher risk for diabetes than others,” he said. “People have to make valid efforts to take care of their health. I think the best thing young people can do is stay active and promote healthy eating habits to their friends and family members. If we all help each other a change can be made.”

For more information on diabetes management and prevention, visit Blue Care Network’s website