Gymnastics team tumbles at BGSU, falls 194.600-192.525

The Eastern Michigan University women’s gymnastics team lost to Bowling Green State University on Saturday by the score of 194.600 to 192.525.

EMU dropped to 0-4 on the season and 0-2 in the Mid-American Conference. Bowling Green improved to 2-2 overall and 2-0 in the MAC.

“We had a good meet and BGSU had a great meet,” EMU head coach Steve Wilce said after the loss. “If we want to compete, we have to start competing great also.”

Khadijah Hudson led the Eagles with a 9.8 in the vault contest, while Ariyanna Smith posted a new career-best with a 9.650 on the bars.

Other leaders were Anna Willette on the beam with a season-high 9.775, Carrina Lo Bello with a 9.725 in the bars and junior Paulina Miller with a 9.725 on the floor.

Despite the loss, assistant coach Andrea Price remains optimistic about the team’s future this year.

“It was definitely our first meet,” Price said. “With every first meet you get jitters.”

Despite the team’s slow start, Price seems optimistic due to some personal achievements by some of the gymnasts.

“We’ve had seven personal bests this year,” Price said. “Hudson won the floor in the first meet.”

Bowling Green competes again on Jan, 31 in Muncie, Ind., against Ball State University.

The EMU gymnastics team doesn’t meet again until Feb. 1 in Mount Pleasant at 2 p.m. They will compete against Illinois State University, The University of Illinois-Chicago and rival Central Michigan University.