Ypsilanti police chief Tony DeGiusti speaks at a public forum following the October death of EMU wide receiver Demarius Reed

Ypsilanti police names chief

Ypsilanti interim police chief Tony DeGiusti was named police chief Friday, after a three-month search to fill the position.

DeGiusti was appointed as the interim chief in October, following the retirement of Amy Walker.

“Interim Chief DeGiusti was selected for many reasons, but primary among these is how he has conducted himself and led the department over the last three months,” city manager Ralph Lange said in a release. “Also weighing heavily on my decision was how he responded to the public’s questions during the candidate forum. During the selection process, it became apparent that he was the right candidate for the job.”

According to the release, DeGiusti will earn $87,000 annually.

Originally hired as the Deputy Chief last year, DeGiusti was one of two final candidates of the nearly 40 applicants for the position.

“I am very excited to be taking this position and for the opportunity to lead such a fine Department,” DeGiusti said. “I feel very fortunate to have the support of the city and especially the support of the officers. We have a lot of work ahead of us to make the Ypsilanti community a safer place for all that live, learn and work here. I look forward to the challenges that lay ahead and to working with the community and our other partners to improve our quality of life in the Ypsilanti area. I am certain that with the great officers and staff of this department we will accomplish this goal.”

DeGiusti previously spent 25 years with the Wayne Police Department, including 12 as deputy police chief, until he retired from the position in Feb. 2013.

The appointment takes effect on Feb. 1.

Follow Al Willman on Twitter: @AlWillmanEcho