Eastern Michigan sophomore Khadijah Hudson finishes up her floor routine in the Eagles 195.925-194.600 loss to Central Michigan Friday night.

Eagle Journey: Gymnast Khadijah Hudson

Eagle Journey is a Q & A series in which Sports Editor Eugene Evans will get to know some of the Eastern Michigan University student-athletes and why they chose to come here.

This week’s feature focuses on sophomore all-around gymnast Khadijah Hudson, from Hebron, Ky.

*Coach Steve Wilce: *“Khadijah is one of those kids who is a difference maker. She has the ability to compete [in any event when healthy]. She’s been somebody to help us to break the ice to get to those higher scores this season.”

EE: Tell me about when you decided to pursue the sport of gymnastics.

*KH: *“I started at a young age because my mother was a gymnast. I wanted to be just like my mom.”

EE: “Was there any athlete you idolized growing up?”

KH: “Easily, Dominique Dawes because she looks just like me and was an amazing Olympic gymnast. Everyone at school always used to compare me to her.”

EE: “How were you recruited to EMU?”

KH: “I was recruited by a former teammate and that was when Coach Wilce contacted me about coming here.”

EE: “Tell me about the transition from high school to college.”

KH: “It wasn’t that bad because it felt similar to being in high school given how quiet it is.”

EE: “What about transitioning academically from high school to college?”

KH: “I feel as if it has been mostly the same, even though I’ve had to study more often given the class load.”

EE: “What has been the most defining moment as an EMU gymnast?”

KH: “It was last year, when I made to regionals, but I had to go by myself since I made it as an individual.”

EE: “What was the one thing you took away from being at regionals?”

KH: “Getting a chance to see other schools and being able to meet athletes from other Mid-American Conference squads.”