News Briefs

EMU alumna turns 105—

Eastern Michigan University alumna Pat Crouch turned 105 on Thursday. Crouch earned her degree from Michigan Normal College, now known as Eastern Michigan University. She stayed in Ypsilanti to teach physical education and work as a counselor at Roosevelt High School.

Crouch is the widow of former MLB baseball pitcher Bill Crouch, who coached the EMU baseball team from 1949 to 1964.

Student body president proposes new smoke-free campus bill—

Student Body President Desmond Miller has written a new smoke-free campus resolution after vetoing a similar bill back in January. The resolution recommends that the Board of Regents implement a smoke-free campus by the fall of 2015.

The resolution calls for the implementation of the policy to be accompanied by a committee of students, faculty and staff that will develop implementation of this policy as well as send out a survey to the EMU community to determine the best location of designated smoke-free zones.

This resolution will be voted on by the Student Senate at 6:30 p.m. in Student Center room 310A.

Ele’s Place seeking volunteers—

Ele’s Place, a healing center for grieving children and teens, is seeking adult volunteers as facilitators for children’s support groups. No previous experience is required. Males, bilingual individuals and people of diverse cultural backgrounds are encouraged to apply.

All children at Ele’s place are grieving the death of a family member or a loved one. The children and teens volunteers should expect to work with range from age 3 to 18 and come from many different ethnic backgrounds and circumstances.

To become an Ele’s Place support group facilitator, individuals are required to complete a 23-hour training program and make a one-year commitment to work with their assigned group. Volunteer applications should be submitted by Friday, March 7 to be considered for participation in the upcoming spring training.

To complete a volunteer application, please visit their website.