Police Blotter

Feb. 11

Police responded to an incident of arson at Phelps Hall when an unidentified perpetrator used a lighter to burn a smiley face pattern into the ceiling panels of the laundry room. There are no suspects at this time.

A student fell victim to Internet fraud, giving a suspect she met online a check for $1,000 in exchange for a $2,000 check. When the $2,000 check failed to clear at her bank the student filed fraud charges. The investigation is ongoing.

Complaints were called in regarding a panhandler who was aggressively soliciting civilians at the corner of Ballard Street and Cross Street. He was cited for possession of narcotic equipment and forced to leave the area.

A student and former student were found smoking marijuana in a parked car at the Oakwood Street parking meters. The former student fled the scene on-foot, leaving his I.D. behind. The current student was cited for possession of drug equipment and may face consequences under the Student Code of Conduct. A warrant is being sought for the former student.

Feb. 13

Police responded to an incident of arson at Pittman Hall where an unidentified perpetrator attempted to light a poster on fire. There are no suspects at this time.

Three students entered the Olds/Robb Recreation Center with their faces concealed by scarves at 2:37 p.m. They approached front desk staff where they demanded them to “get down.” The students were cited for disturbing the peace and will face disciplinary action under the Student Code of Conduct.

Housing staff at Wise Hall reported the theft of a fire extinguisher stolen between 2:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. There are no suspects at this time.

Feb. 14

Police responded to a disturbing-the-peace call at Pittman Hall at 12:35 a.m. A male and female student were engaged in a loud argument. The students will face consequences under the Student Code of Conduct.

Video footage from EMU’s department of public safety showed a student stealing the service bell at the police service window at 9:56 a.m. The student has been referred to the prosecutor’s office and will face disciplinary action under the Student Code of Conduct.

Police responded to the possible theft of two hubcaps from the front tires of a parked car on north campus lot one. The case remains open.

A female student was arguing loudly with her boyfriend at the Mayhew parking lot on campus. Her boyfriend was cited for trespassing and the female student may face consequence under the Student Code of Conduct.

Feb. 15

Police responded to an incident of arson reported by a resident assistant at Putnam Hall. An unknown suspect set a flyer on fire and left it to burn. The case remains open.

Police charged a man for possession of heroin at 6:02 p.m. The man was pulled over on a traffic stop at Cross Street and Ballard Street where upon it was learned the suspect had outstanding warrants for his arrest. The police found heroin and drug paraphernalia in the suspect’s possession when he was searched.

A woman who was pulled over on a traffic stop at N. Huron Street and Jarvis Street was charged with possession of narcotic paraphernalia. Police observed a used syringe in the suspect’s vehicle’s ashtray. The case has been turned over to the prosecutor’s office.

Officers came across a man smoking marijuana at Peninsula Park in Ypsilanti. The drugs were confiscated and he was released at the scene with a warning.

Feb. 16

Police were called to Walton Hall by housing staff at 12:35 a.m. where an intoxicated student had to be transported to Saint Joseph Mercy Hospital. The student and two other students were all cited as minors in possession and may face disciplinary action for violating the Student Code of Conduct.

An intoxicated student in Best Hall was taken to the hospital at 3:26 a.m. The student is a minor, and could face consequences under the Student Code of Conduct.

Police responded to a property damage call at Wise Hall at 11:52 p.m. where a fire extinguisher cabinet’s glass was broken out. The investigation is ongoing.

Feb. 17

EMU police spotted a known trespasser at the Student Center at 6:22 p.m. He was detained and found to have outstanding warrants for his arrest. The suspect was jailed.

For the safety of the Eastern Michigan University Community, DPS would like to remind students that arson is categorized as the unauthorized burning of any object. Those caught setting fire to anything on EMU’s campus could face felony charges.