Rec/IM’s fitness program sees growth

When the Rec/IM decided to no longer use the services of B Young B Fit last semester, graduate assistant Jeff Phillips saw an opportunity to expand the fitness program.

Phillips, who is the fitness program coordinator for the Rec/IM has seen a rise in students signing up since transitioning back to being an internally-ran project in Sept. 2013.

“We are now an internally run program advocating for students to sign up,” Phillips said.

The goal of the Get Fit Challenge for Phillips is to help make an impact on people’s lives.

“The reason I do all of this is to help people make a change that is going to benefit their health in the long run,” Phillips said.

Rec/IM group fitness instructor Jade Paron worked in B Young B Fit as an independent contractor for a year before joining the Get Fit Challenge last September.

“We collaborated with the Rec/IM and the fitness program has been going great since,” Paron said. “It’s really been exciting to bring free fitness classes here which is a big deal. A lot of people have been coming to the classes because it is more affordable.”

After charging members $100 for unlimited classes in the fall semester, the program became free of charge on Jan. 6 and group fitness instructor Jason Ratliff has seen a rise in enrollment for his sessions.

“We went from averaging ten people per class to between 28 and 34 people for my abs circuit class,” Ratliff said.

Ratliff admits there are benefits to having smaller classes, but likes the larger sessions because of how people encourage one another to succeed.

“It’s a little less personal, but because there are so many people, they will encourage and push one another to make it through a session,” Ratliff said.

The results have been positive thus far and Ratliff knows the potential is unlimited for the program.

“Everyone is getting the workouts they want and these classes are not designed to be easy,” Ratliff said. “They are designed so that everyone can make it through the class. Obviously, some have different fitness levels than others, but the more they come, the easier it will get.”

Rec/IM personal trainer Kim Munzinger likes how students are taking advantage of the program, but hopes more will join.

“I think it is awesome that we have fitness programs for free,” Munzinger said. “It would be great to see more students take advantage of the free classes.”

Free group fitness sessions are being offered until April 19. Classes include Zumba, Yoga, Boot Camps and more. Even though classes are free, you will still need to register at the Rec/IM front counter in order to participate.

For more questions about the Get Fit Challenge and Personal Training programs, e-mail Jeff Phillips at emu_fitness@emich.edu.

Social Media:

Follow Eugene Evans on Twitter @GenoSportsguy.