Jimmy John's on Cross Street in Ypsilanti.

After nearly six months, Jimmy John's on Cross opens for business

After six months and much frustration, the long wait for Eastern Michigan University students ended at 11 a.m. Wednesday when the Jimmy John’s at 537 W. Cross Street re-opened.

In October, a fire in the apartment above resulted in extensive smoke and water damage to the store – forcing it to close. According to MLive, the total damage was estimated at around $150,000.

The company placed a classified ad seeking delivery drivers in Monday’s issue of The Eastern Echo. Jimmy John’s corporate offices, as well as store management, refused numerous attempts by the Echo to comment on the matter leading up to the re-opening.

An unidentified manager was direct with his response to a request for comment Wednesday.

“I can tell you we’re open,” he said.

EMU students are glad the wait is over and many took to social media Monday afternoon when the Echo broke the news.

“I’m really excited,” junior music performance major Sam Teeple said. “It’s basically the only convenient place to eat late at night. I’ve been going through some serious JJ withdrawal.”

The chain is popular among students because of the prices of the subs, hours of operation and delivery to campus.

“Jimmy John’s is a great place to hang out with your friends,” Teeple said. “It symbolizes the best parts of being in college, in my opinion. Late nights and lazy weekends when you don’t want to spend a lot of money or drive anywhere.”

Social Media:

Follow Al Willman on Twitter: @AlWillmanEcho