Gary M. Owen Building

COB to hold conference on Thursday

Graduates of Eastern Michigan University will be speaking Thursday, Sept. 18, at the College of Business for the EMU Alumni Business Conference. Over 100 alumni are expected to be speaking on a wide array of business fields and strategies.

The event will run from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., with three different times scheduled for presentations.
The event includes speakers such as Regent James Webb, chairman of Aon Risk Services and Joyce Jenereaux, president of Gannett Michigan Region. The Detroit Free Press and Steve Futrell, CEO of Technology Solutions will also be in attendance.

Presentations will be held in classrooms at the COB.

James Webb will give a presentation titled “The Things They Don’t Teach You in College: Ethos, Pathos, Logos.” Joyce Jenereaux will be giving a presentation titled “How I Became President: Non-traditional Paths to the Boardroom.”

Some presentations will be repeated.

To get to the event, students can pick up the AATA bus, route 33, in front of the Student Center facing Oakwood St. The bus is scheduled to stop at the Student Center every 10 minutes and is free for EMU students.

This is the second year the EMU Alumni Business Conference is running. Michael Tidwell, dean of the College of Business, has no plans to make the event annual.

“We want to make sure we are delivering the most creative and innovative events for our students. We must not be stagnant in our planning,” said Tidwell.

The event was originally created to give successful alumni an opportunity to reconnect with their alma mater and assist current students in launching successful careers.

About 2,000 students are expected to attend the event this year.

Students can register and view presentation times at the COB event registration login page, under emich.edu/cob/conference/login.php.