Investment in new lights adds safety to EMU and Ypsilanti

EMU invests in tech improvements

Classroom technology improvements are being made around campus this year for audiovisual technology and enhanced classroom upgrades.

$786,000 will be spent on buildings like Roosevelt Hall, which houses the College of Technology, part of the School of Visual & Built Environments.

These upgrades are to accommodate programs, such as Communication Technology, Simulation, Animation and Gaming, Apparel, Textiles and Merchandise, Interior Design and Construction Management. These are similar to the improvements that were previously made in the Rackham College of Business and the College of Health and Human Services.

Oakwood Street received $180,000 worth of enhancements in the form of 20 light poles and LED lighting between Mayhew to Huron River Drive. The light distribution helps to aid dark campus spots to create a safer walking environment after the sun goes down.

$93,000 has also been spent updating other fixtures along Clark Street, Le Forge Street, Cornell Street, and the North side of Huron River Drive.

$350,000 was devoted to campus concrete improvements. Locations like Sill Hall have new sidewalks to go along with the lighting enhancements. These improvements have made safer walkways, bike paths and skateboard routes to travel around campus.