Fall films to keep an eye out for

In the midst of fall semester excitement, the Eastern Michigan University Eagles have a lot to look forward to. This semester, there’s a line-up of new must-see movies for every type of student on our campus. Whether you like to laugh out loud, get swept up in the drama or spend no money at all, I have the details for you.

Starting Sept.19th, the drama begins with “The Skeleton Twins” starring SNL alums Kristin Wiig and Bill Hader. This story revolves around two estranged siblings who both cheat death on the same day and decide to reconnect. In terms of indie movies, this delivers all the tender laughs and heartbreak we can handle along with an all-star cast.

Also, the powerhouse Denzel Washington stars in “The Equalizer” on Sept. 26th. Washington’s character, a former black ops agent who faked his death to live a quiet life, comes out of retirement to save a young girl, only to then find himself up against Russian gangsters. Don’t worry, Denzel, we are rooting for you!

Are you more in the mood for a laugh this semester? On Sept. 19th, director Shawn Levy, who brought us “Date Night” and “The Internship” is now charming us again with “This Is Where I Leave You.” The film revolves around 4 grown siblings who have to once again be under the same roof when their father passes away, along with a talkative mother, and slew of spouses and might-have-been-lovers. With a cast including stars like Tina Fey and Jason Bateman, I know I’ll be at the theatre for “This is Where I Leave You.”

Last on the comedy list, we have another sequel amongst us. Remember the rip-roaring gut-clincher from 2011, “Horrible Bosses”? Well, Jennifer Aniston, Jason Sudeikis and Jason Bateman are at it again. In this part-two, the gang decides to start their own business, but things do not go as planned when a slick investor guides the trio into an ill-judged kidnapping scheme. With all the same laughs and crudeness, remember to check out “Horrible Bosses 2”! This comedy is coming your way Nov. 26th.

For students who are on a budget, don’t forget about the awesome free movies Campus Life offers on Friday nights in the Student Center. We have “Captain America: Winter Soldier” on Sept. 5, “Godzilla” on the Sept. 12, “Neighbors” on Sept. 19, “22nd Jump Street” on Sept. 28. There is also a showing of “Maleficent” on Sept. 13 at 8:30 p.m. in University Park.

For all the movies listed above, always make sure to bring a student ID with you for discount at the RAVE theatre located on Carpenter Road and the Quality 16 on Jackson Road in Ann Arbor. Also take advantage of matinee pricing. Any matinee movie at RAVE is $5.50. If you are a student who lives on campus, there are Ypsilanti city buses (Purple 6) that run Tuesday-Friday until 9:30 p.m. It can pick you up on Congress Street, east of Oakwood and drop you off on Ellsworth, a short walk away from RAVE cinemas. Allow around 45 minutes in travel coordinating with your show time.

Don’t forget to also support the Michigan and State theatres in Downtown Ann Arbor that are always showing great independent films, as well. Happy watching!