Jimmy John's on Cross Street in Ypsilanti.

Jimmy John's affected by security breach

The Jimmy John’s sandwich shop located on West Cross Street in Ypsilanti is one of 216 stores affected by a nationwide credit card data breach.

It was confirmed Wednesday that the Ypsilanti location was affected between June 16 and July 30.

Jimmy John’s would not comment on this directly to the Eastern Echo and public relations representative Mary Trader was not immediately available for comment.

In a statement given to MLive, it was said that “credit and debit card data was compromised after an intruder stole log-in credentials from Jimmy John’s point-of-sale vendor and then used those credentials to remotely access the payment systems at corporate and franchise locations between June 16 and September 5.”

Right now Jimmy John’s customers are being encouraged to watch their accounts for suspicious activity.

“I just bought a sub there, this worries me a bit,” said senior Ben Wilber, an exercise science major at EMU.

The information that was leaked included customer names, card numbers, expiration dates and verification codes. Jimmy John’s currently believes that swiped cards were the only ones affected, not those that were manually entered or entered online.

Jimmy John’s is now taking steps to prevent this kind of event from happening in the future by installing an encrypted swipe machine and enhancing current systems.

“I am concerned with the ineffective security,” said senior Krystal Bush, psychology and apparel textile merchandising major. “As college students, we primarily use cards, this can be incredibly detrimental.”

If you or a friend were affected by the data breach, Jimmy John’s is offering identity protection services. Check out this link for information: Jimmy John's Security Breach