Miller outlines plans for new school year

Eastern Michigan University’s Student Government gathered for a State of the Student Body meeting Monday night in the Student Center.

Student Government is composed of an executive board, the Student Senate, and several specialized committees. Along with general students, members of each of these bodies were in attendance to hear what Student Body President Desmond Miller had to say.

The meeting was led by Miller who both reminded the audience of his proposals already in effect, as well as informing them on what he plans to advocate for this year.

One of Miller’s passed proposals that has already been put into action is the 24-hour library policy. Miller advocated for a library that is always open, stating that he believes that if EMU is an institution that prides itself on putting education first, then students should be able to have access to a library at all times.

However, the only section of the library that this policy affected is the first floor, which consists mainly of the computer lab. Furthermore, Miller had to cut the budget for free copies of The New York Times that were once available around EMU for the student body for this policy to be enacted.

The 24-hour library proposal went into effect over the summer, so this school year will be the first school year it is in place.

Miller also spoke of his plans for advocacy on numerous subjects. One of his proposals is a reflection room, which will simply be a room for students to religiously reflect in. The reflection is free and is open to people of all religions.

Miller is also continuing work on obtaining AAATA bus passes for students. He hopes for this to be in effect by fall 2015.

“We desperately need bus passes in order for our students to have access to reliable transportation to and from classes in the greater Ypsi/Ann Arbor community,” Miller said.

Improved safety on campus is also high on Miller’s list of priorities. He said he is going to continue to focus on these issues and help students feel a lot safer on and around campus.

To close the meeting, Miller reminded the students of EMU that although he represents them, they are ultimately the ones that have the power to make changes around campus.

“I, my executive board and our senators work for you,” Miller said. “You are our bosses. Request changes to us to improve the student experience. Make us live by our own motto: ‘When you speak, we listen’.”