Some things about campus you might not know

Eastern Michigan University offers students many resources they wish they knew about from day one.

The most important of which is to watch your ebill and financial aid like a hawk. Once you get a scholarship or FAFSA acceptance letter it is easy to just relax and focus on studying. Or not studying. But the intricacies of the financial aid office can easily create a problem that could potentially cut off your loans or stop you from registering next semester.

Another common thing for freshmen is not knowing what to do now that you are in college. Which is why you should go for weird classes. Go for a class that you would never have thought to take in a million years. Take a marine biology class, or intro to Japanese, or the literature of Harry Potter. You never know – you just might find your major that way.

Like most universities, EMU has accumulated a series of websites. The most common are my.emich.edu and emuonline.

My Emich is the university’s main student web site on which you can find your ebill, register for classes, check your student email and find your personal records.

EMU online is a separate site for online components of classes. You can access it with your E number and password.

“We are proud to take our fan rewards program to the next level with the creation of EMU Gameday Rewards,” Tony Orlando, the director of athletics marketing said in a press release on emueagles.com.

It functions like the rewards programs that credit cards use. If you are a sports fan you can download the Gameday Rewards App. According to emueagles.com, you can get the app at one of the designated rewards tables at any EMU sporting event. Anything from football games, to basketball to gymnastics. The app will reward fans with prizes. This program was established at the end of August for this season.

“In a world of smart phones, our fans can now take EMU Athletics with them wherever they go,” Orlando said.

The Ellucian Go App, which allows students to view courses, check grades, acquire materials, receive notifications and find students and teachers in the university’s directory. Available on Apple and Android devices, the free app has been available at EMU since December 2013.

“I am incredibly excited we are rolling out this helpful app for students,” Student Body President Desmond Miller said in the 2013 press release.

Lots of students just get up, go to class and then spend the rest of their time in their dorm. If you don’t want to do that, you can use EMU Today. This page on the main emich website provides a list of what is going on around campus each day. It tells you everything from event notifications, to scholarships to lecture series. Just go to emich.edu and search “EMU Today.”

The campus itself tends to be overpopulated on the north end, where all of the dorms are, and relatively abandoned at the south end, especially after classes are over. But there is stuff to do there.

Around Ford hall, there is a eclectic collection of sculptures from the art program which is worth looking at. Inside Ford there is one of two art galleries on campus, which changes frequently, showing what the art department can produce.

And up until recently, McKenny was the student center. So the lounge there is still open to the public and occasionally the astronomical department at Scherzer welcomes students to come and look at the stars with them.