Tips for maintaining healthy skin

Many first year students’ skin takes a beating. Between long hours spent studying and pressure to meet deadlines, the stress they feel shows up not only in their constantly irritated demeanor, but also on their skin.

Dark circles under the eyes, tired complexions and pimples are less than ideal for anyone’s debut into college life.

For those in desperate need of a solution, it is important to begin building a regimen that fits into your new busy schedule. Little tweaks here and there can help get your skin back on track.

Tips: The most important thing to remember when trying to get your skin looking fresh again is consistency. Find a cleanser, toner and moisturizer that works for you and stick to it. Creating a schedule for your skin will help it regulate its oil production.

Also, having a regimen and using it twice a day is important because each step serves a different function. A cleanser will clean out your pores, a toner will suck up leftover dirt and even out your skin tone, and a moisturizer will provide your skin with a seal that locks in moisture, leaving you with a bit of a glow from massaging your skin.

When it comes to a revived complexion, nothing works like some beauty sleep. Yes, beauty sleep is a thing, and yes, you need it. Sleeping Beauty was oblivious to the world, but she had killer skin. When the body is in sleep mode it starts “healing” itself. Skin cells turn over at a faster rate, putting your freshest skin literally on top, and dark circles fade from their oppressed shade of blah.

Products: Since lack of time can be the main culprit for bad skin, here are a few time savers and miracle workers.

Yes to Grapefruit Daily Facial Scrub, Target: The first thing this scrub does is wake you up with a fresh citrus smell. Then, the grainy (but not abrasive) texture polishes away dead skin cells to reveal smooth skin. The antioxidants and vitamin C in grapefruit helps to even out skin tone and lemon balm improves the skin’s glow factor.

Paula’s Choice Skin Balancing Oil-Absorbing Mask, Birchbox.com: The thick and creamy clay mask balances oil production, reduces redness, and soothes stressed skin. After 10 minutes of a tingly sensation, wash away the mask to reveal healthier looking skin.

Frownies Rose Water Hydrator Spray, Birchbox.com: One spritz from this little bottle delivers blemish prevention from rose water’s natural anti-bacterial properties, hydration from hyaluronic acid, and calms sensitive skin from chamomile and aloe juice. Also, after a few hours of staring at a book, a cool spray of rose water helps you wake up and feel a bit refreshed.

DIY Treatments: When I get a free moment I like to create a homemade mask to help me take full advantage of my “relaxing time.” Here are a few recipes you can easily make:

1 tbsp. plain yogurt + 1 tsp. mashed cucumber + 1/2 tsp. honey = Hydrating Mask

1 tbsp. plain yogurt + 1 tsp. mashed blueberries + 1 tsp. plain uncooked oats = Redness Reducing and Calming Mask