Indian Student Association hosts Bollywood Night

The Indian Student Association hosted Bollywood Night in the main ballroom of McKenny Hall Saturday night. Originally called Garba night, the event previously featured traditional Indian dancing.

More than 70 students attended, and unlike original Garba night, this event was informal. The guests were dressed in a mix of Indian and western attire and there was a mix of Indian and western music. The performers danced in a circle in the middle of the room and people came in one by one to freestyle in the middle.

“Last year we didn't get a lot of response and didn't get a lot of students who would be active members but this year there were more incoming Indian students and this year they're more active members who are interested in being a part of the organization and doing more events,” said Himaja Ramayanam, a criminology and communications major and INDSA vice president.

“I came to the event because I love experiencing different cultures and I feel like this is a very enriching experience,” said Stephanie Whitman, a special education major. “I love it. I love going to different events and seeing people in their own environment and just teaching people about different cultures.”

“We are going to host and try to promote Indian culture in Eastern Michigan,” said INDSA President Satya Achanta, a grad student in computer science. “As a part of international week we would like to close it with a grand evening. We are going to conduct a Bollywood Night.”

The LBC-approved event was sponsored by Bell Information Solutions LLC, a Virginia-based computer consultancy focused on helping students get jobs. Ramayanam said this was common practice for job consultancy firms to attract students to their company.

“This is the second time we're working with them,” Ramayanam said. “Once people see the new students see the old students have gone to this consultancy and have been successful, they follow them.”