The bad habit that everyone should pick up

The season of trick-or-treats has come and gone, but the craving for something sweet still lingers on the tip of candy scavengers’ tongues.

Bad Habit Caramels held their launch party Sunday, Oct. 26 at The Corner Brewery. The celebration included a catered dessert bar, caramel samples, an espresso bar from The Ugly Mug Café and Roastery and a stream of incredible live performances.

Bad Habit Caramels is an Ypsilanti-based company that makes their caramels fresh every day, also making sure to use locally based ingredients.

Cami Ross started Bad Habit Caramels because she enjoyed creating delicious treats for family and friends.

“I moved up here a few years ago with my fiancée, and we would make caramels for the holidays, but after people kept telling us we should sell them, we began to try out different flavors,” Ross said.

At the premier party, attendees were served caramels of varying flavors. Guests were escorted to a table where staff handed out business cards and samples and were given a chance to enter a raffle to win a case full of assorted caramels.

Bourbon, salted caramel and bacon were some of the many flavors that were displayed.

Individual apple pies, cookies, turtles and popcorn decorated the dessert bar. The Ugly Mug staff worked the espresso bar where guests could get anything from a Colombian roasted bean coffee to a salted caramel espresso.

Ross gave insight as to what made her company different from competitors.

“Our caramels are freshly made using local ingredients, like getting our coffee flavor sourced from The Ugly Mug and getting our bacon from a small butcher shop,” said Ross. “Our caramels have a short shelf life, so there [are] no preservatives.”

She said Bad Habit puts a personal touch on every caramel.

“There’s love in our caramels,” Ross said. “A lot of places say that about their products but I don’t think they really mean it. We hand make each and every caramel so yes, ours [are] made with a special kind of love.”

Bad Habit Caramels is currently having a holiday sale for original salted and unsalted caramels online. You can visit their website, badhabitcaramels.com, for more information.