Hit me baby one more time

Full of grunge, alternative rock and teen pop songs, the 90s was a breeding ground for golden one-hit wonders from British garage bands to spunky outspoken women to teenagers with angst to spare. While some of these musicians had some other minor hits, most can be easily identified by one song that made it on the U.S. Billboard between 1990 and 1999.

1. Eiffel 65 - “Blue (Da Ba Dee)”

A pop group from Italy, Eiffel 65 had exactly one U.S. hit: the incomprehensible, perpetually-stuck-in-your-head “Blue.”

The electronic dance-pop song is incredibly catchy and one of many songs you grow to love while simultaneously hating it. The band is still together, despite having released their newest music in 2003 on their self-titled album. How wonderful would it be to hear something new to play constantly in your head for the rest of the semester?

2. Baz Luhrmann - “Everybody’s Free (To Wear Sunscreen)”

Originally written by journalist Mary Schmich, Baz Luhrmann put the spoken word to song for the class of ‘99 instead of the original for the class of ‘97. These words of wisdom guided many a student fresh out of high school and into college. Luhrmann took a brief and surprising break from directing films to dip a toe in the music industry; maybe he will do it again for a certain class of graduating college students looking for some inspiring words.

3. Sir Mix-A-Lot - “Baby Got Back”

Present day, we all find ourselves in the Age of the Butt. Top 40 hits like “All About That Bass” and “Anaconda” lead the ass-brigade for this generation’s youth. Sir Mix-A-Lot’s “Baby Got Back” arguably started the trend, so why shouldn’t he be the one to lead it onward through the rest of the twentieth century?

4. Meredith Brooks - “Bitch”

Every girl intuitively relates to this Meredith Brooks mega-pop hit. With a wonderful outlet for girls to be irritated, bossy, and angry, “Bitch” was a great move for feminism in the 90s. We need another hit from Brooks, because every generation needs more angry feminists to show us the way.

5. Los Del Rio - “Macarena”

The Spanish duo, Los Del Rio, is best known for being present at every party, every wedding and every school dance starting in 1996. While the song was written in 1995, it wasn’t until a year later that the song and its simply choreographed dance moves rose to the top of the billboard charts for 14 weeks. Since “Macarena,” the people of America have lacked a well-known tune we all know the moves to. If Antonio Romero and Rafael Ruiz got together and made a new-style “Macarena,” the 2010s would be saved.

6. Semisonic - “Closing Time”

Still played in bars around closing time, this 90s hit was one everyone could recognize from the first few chords. It can get everyone’s foot tapping, their head’s swaying and singing as many words as they can muster in their last-call drunken states. However, all good things come to an end, but before the tradition of this song is over, Semisonic must make another anthem for the new generation of bar and party antics.