Stephen Henderson lectures on the good and bad of Detroit's bankrupcy

Stephen Henderson, Detroit Free Press editorial page editor, said that Detroit’s bankruptcy is the worst thing that ever happened to the city and the best opportunity he’s ever seen the city get.

The 2014 Pulitzer Prize winner for commentary visited Eastern Michigan University to talk about his view of Detroit’s current state and its future in the second installment of “The Future of Urban Michigan” lecture series on Tuesday in Pray-Harrold.

“I think we hit bottom and got a tremendous opportunity to get back on our feet,” Henderson said.

He focused on four topics: finance, neighborhoods, school systems and Detroit in the context of Michigan. It was a 35-minute lecture followed by a question and answer session.

Henderson said starting from scratch and being able to pay off Detroit’s debt over time is a “gift” that has made the debt manageable.

“It was very informative,” said Natalie Oliver, a junior secondary education, social studies and political science major said. “There were lots of interesting facts. I think that a lot of this area especially depends on Detroit. And so if Detroit completely falls, this area can’t succeed.”

Henderson said problems in Detroit affect Ypsilanti.

“City’s problems are not exclusive to cities,” Henderson said. “They are all of our problems. We’re all responsible for them and we’re all responsible helping to find solutions.”

He said students should go to Detroit for jobs after graduation, even if it’s temporary.

“We should be welcoming people who say, ‘Hey, I didn't grow up here but I want to be part of it,’” Henderson said.

The lecture looked at Detroit’s future through a realistically optimistic lens.

“I thought it was great,” said Zubin Khan, a senior chemistry and psychology major. “It’s definitely important for me to learn about what’s going on in Detroit. I already had a decent idea but I definitely learned a lot more than I knew before I came.”

After the lecture, students and faculty asked questions, many coming from personal experiences.

“The questions were good,” said Arnold Fleischmann, head of the political science department. “A lot of people seemed to be really informed which was nice.”

Henderson felt that the idea that cities are dangerous is something people are brought up on and firsthand experience can change that.

“[People are] changing their minds about the city,” Henderson said. “Even if you don’t want to live there that is okay. Come be part of whatever part you want to be in on.”