Women's Resource Center hosts first annual 'Our Voices' event

The Women’s Resource Center held the first annual “Our Voices” show as part of EMU’s Vagina Month on Friday in the Alexander Music Building.

Ten students took the stage to present their experiences and other women’s experiences in 17 short monologues.

“I think it’s important for events like this to be held about women’s issues,” said junior Leah Vanallsburg. “A lot of students don’t consider those issues to be as big a deal as other issues.”

The monologues covered everything from sexual assault to body image

“I felt that people could learn from the experiences I’ve had and with that knowledge make the world a better place,” said reader Grace Johnson.

The show opened with, “An Open Letter to Women,” read by Danielle Bain. She questioned society and the stereotypes used to define the role of women. She ended with a question for the audience, “so who are you?”

“It’s important for women to form a community to create change,” said freshman Karla Sanchez.

Johnson read “A Letter to The Girls That Are Not Old Enough to Understand This Message.” She listed the fears she had for young girls, including her fear that “you’ll be told what you can and can’t do based on what’s between your legs.”

She ended on a hopeful note – a better future in which “the world is at your fingertips.”

Sophomore Bri Whitcomb said this piece was heartfelt.

“Young girls don’t yet understand these things and it is hard to have hope with so many bad things out there,” Whitcomb said.

“Tell Me Another Rape Joke,” read by Alycee Dodenhoff, looked at the light-hearted attitude often taken when it comes to rape.

Jennifer Walls, assistant director of the Vagina Monologues, tackled body image in “May 22, 2013.”

A life-saving surgery forced her body into shedding over a hundred pounds. In the beginning she enjoyed the prospect of being able to “finally understand what it meant to be thin.”

Her body’s negative response to the surgery turned her weight loss into a curse. She has grown to realize that she is “a beautiful and strong woman.”

“There is a deep sense of intimacy with people when you’re in a safe space and you talk about things that are real,” Walls said.

In “My Pocketbook and I,” read by Kelsey Hawkins-Johnson, she talked about “growing up in a house of naked black women.” She explained that understanding her body made her realized that she is “a beautiful creation.”

“I wanted other people to hear what needs to be said,” Hawkins-Johnson said. “This was a form of freedom for myself. I love writing and storytelling.”

“Sex Ed in Northwest Ohio,” read by Walls, described the all too familiar and painful experience of public school sex education programs. An especially traumatic one, somewhere in northwest Ohio, was lead by a Mrs. T who described girls who chose to have sex before marriage as “half-eaten suckers.”

The show ended with Scout Bostley’s “Alphabet According to Women 18-24.” Each letter was assigned a word or phrase pertaining to the female experience. “A” stood for abuse, “e” for emotions, “k” for kissing, and “l” for lonely. The poem was interspersed with powerful statements like, “only let those in who worship you.”

Reader Darcy King said that taking ownership over experiences is important.

“Everyone was really talented,” said sophomore Rita Hodges. “I was inspired to write for next year’s show.”

Sophomore Mishka Repaska was impressed with both the speakers and the audience.

“When you see that other people care, that’s powerful,” said Repaska.