Naps shows EMU how to MANEtain natural hair

Eastern Michigan University’s Natural Authentic Passionate Stylish student organization held a textured hair workshop Wednesday night in the Student Center.

NAPS members gave three presentations to 30 students on how to promote healthy hair and hair growth.

Senior Alexandrya Bardell, majoring in math, said that it is important for people to know how to fix their natural hair and take care of it because influences like the media can make them feel like they have to change.

“It’s really detrimental to self image, self worth and just the value of who you are as a person,” she said. “So embracing who you are naturally, and not having to make all of these alterations and doing all these things to look like somebody else, is important just so you know who you are and feel comfortable in your own skin.”

The presentation focused on winter, color, bedtime maintenance, hair styling tools and protective styles. Each one was 20 minutes and was followed by a video reinforcing the information given in the presentation.

Students could ask questions throughout the presentation and everyone offered tips and advice on techniques and products.

NAPS raffled off a SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen, Grow and Restore Styling Lotion and a two-pack Turbie Twist Microfiber Hair Towel.

Sophomore Candis Caldwell, majoring in electronic media and film, has been transitioning to her natural hair for the past three weeks. She said she has tried going natural in the past but always stopped because she was insecure about not knowing how to fix it.

She said that she would recommend going natural to anyone considering it.

“I see my hair texture changing. I see my hair just getting healthier and growing,” Caldwell said.

She said people who are trying to let their hair grow or have damaged hair need to take care of it and “just let it breathe.”

Junior Liz Lang, majoring in apparel, textiles and merchandising, went natural for her younger cousins. She said she used to straighten her hair and when she saw they were doing the same, she cut off all her hair to prove that “natural hair can be beautiful.”

She said events like this keep the process of transitioning to natural hair going.

“I think it’s important for naturals to get together and encourage each other,” she said. “When we all have a common goal, like going natural and keeping natural hair, it’s good as a refresher and a reminder.”

For more information on NAPS and its upcoming events, contact NAPS president, Shaina Johnson, at sjohn148@emich.edu.