College of Education professor to spend fall semester in Finland

The College of Education's Rebecca Martusewicz will be spending the 2015 fall semester in Finland. According to a press release from Eastern Michigan University's office of University Communications, Martusewicz will be working with a research group of doctoral students and other colleagues at the University of Tampere.

“Specifically, her research will focus on the history of Finland's compulsory education and industrialization and its impact,” the release said.

Martusewicz also won the Fulbright Award. The Fulbright Award is an academic program created by the late U.S. Senator James Fulbright. The merit-based program, run as part of the Department of State, selects U.S. citizens and gives them grants and scholarships to study or work at universities overseas.

At Eastern, Martusewicz specializes in classes like eco-justice, education sociology and democratic theory.

“I work to engage students in critical cultural-ecological analysis of the roots of current social and ecological crises,” she said in the professional summary of her EMU page.

The University of Tampere is a research college in Southwestern Finland, where Martusewicz has worked before. According to the press release, Martusewicz met her Finnish colleagues at a seminar run by the American Education Research Association.

“I'm very honored and excited about this opportunity for scholarly exchange in my field,” Martusewicz said in the press release. “I know my Finnish colleagues well and welcome the opportunity to have this extended time to work closely with the students and faculty.”

In Tampere, Martusewicz will be provided a salary, travel expense account and an apartment provided by Tampere.