President Susan Martin christens the new eight-oared racing shell named after her, flanked by members of EMU's rowing team.

Rowers present boat named after Susan Martin at grand opening of Lakeside Park improvements

Susan Martin is leaving with a splash.

At the grand opening of improvements made to Lakeside Park at Ford Lake on Thursday March 14, EMU rowers presented a boat named after EMU's president to show her their appreciation.

“Having a boat named after you is a big honor,” said Kemp Savage, coach of the rowing team. “They’re always named after someone important.”

The boat was presented at the unveiling of a new boathouse, pavilion, boat and fishing docks, pathways and parking lot at Lakeside Park.

The project was the collaborative effort of EMU, Ypsilanti Township, the State of Michigan, Washtenaw County and the Saline Rowing Club. It took over seven years for the project to be completed.

The new boathouse will serve both EMU's rowing team and the Saline High School Rowing Club.

"This marks the beginning of a legacy," said Ashley Gilmore, a senior at EMU and captain of the rowing team. "We are rowing like we've never rowed before."

Graham Fox, a member of Saline High's Rowing Club, also spoke on the boathouse.

"This is huge for us," he said. "Our boats are safe and protected."

Other speakers included EMU Vice President of Communication and Public Affairs Walter Kraft, Ypsilanti Township Supervisor Brenda Stumbo, EMU President Susan Martin and Supervisor of Planning for Washtenaw County Parks Coy Vaughn.

Once the speakers wrapped up their remarks, Martin was invited to christen the boat with champagne.

“President Martin has been what’s really been the driving force of this project,” Savage said.