Volunteers clean up downtown during Ypsi P.R.I.D.E Day

Local residents participated in the 21st annual Ypsilanti P.R.I.D.E. Day Saturday morning. Volunteers at the event worked in the downtown Ypsilanti area to help gather litter, pull up weeds and plant new flowers.

People Restoring Image and Developing the Environment is a project from the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti Regional Chamber. According to their web site, it is “intended to foster community pride and encourage local business growth by creating a clean and welcoming environment.”

Event planners anticipated between 200 and 1,500 people, and about 150 to 200 showed up. The day started with rain, which lasted for the first half of the morning.

“I live in Ypsilanti and I work at the Corner Health Center,” said Nancy McComb, who has been part of the event for three years. “I can't imagine it not happening. It just makes downtown Ypsilanti gorgeous. If this didn't happen, it would be very sad for Ypsilanti.”

“This is my first year doing it,” said participant Jeffory Dillon. “I've lived in downtown Ypsilanti. I live outside of downtown now, and [I'm] just trying to give back to the community. I don't think Ypsi gets as much credit as it deserves. So you try to do whatever you can do to bring up the way people look at the community.”

The cleanup was sponsored by over two dozen sponsors, including Home Depot, Tower Inn, Heller & Wetzler P.C., Wiard's Orchards and the Ypsilanti Food Cooperative.

The Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti chamber of commerce has been working with the city’s Downtown Development Authority. DDA Director Tim Colbeck was on hand distributing flowers to the volunteers.

“I honestly enjoy this,” said Downtown Development Authority Tim Colbeck. “It's much better than sitting in my office doing paper work.” The Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti chamber of commerce has been working with the DDA.

At noon the work portion of the event ended, and volunteers were treated to a picnic at Riverside Park. The free lunch included pizza and fresh fruit.