Susan Martin presents at her final forum

President Susan Martin attended her final forum on Wednesday in the Student Center Auditorium, where she discussed the changes made to the university during her seven years as president.

Martin highlighted many positive changes in her slideshow, which included enrollment growth and the addition of new programs, like the physician assistant program.

“It’s a very exciting program with huge demand in this area,” Martin said.

Martin also discussed changes to the university’s campus, like the effort to beautify campus, an increase in campus security, and renovations to buildings, including the revitalization of McKenny Hall. Martin discussed the challenges of turning the downstairs bowling alley into classrooms, and adding advising and an Eagle Café to the building.

“It’s full and it’s vibrant,” she said of the renovated building.

During the presentation Martin also talked about initiatives launched during her time as president, including the “0-0-0” initiative. According to a press release, “0-0-0” was a 0 percent increase in tuition, fees, and room and board approved by the Board of Regents for the 2010-11 school year.

“You can’t buy with marketing what ‘0-0-0’ did for our reputation in the state,” Martin said.

CFO Michael Valdes also spoke about tuition during the budget part of the forum, noting that the university has been a “leader in tuition restrain in the past few years,” and that the university is making efforts to maintain enrollment.

“Financial aid is going up 4.7 million dollars,” he said.

Martin concluded the forum by discussing her plans after the presidency, which include spending more time with her family.

“I hope to spend a little more with them, and with you,” Martin said, to a standing ovation.