Five freshmen start preseason with EMU Soccer

After finishing the 2014-2015 season with a record of 11-7-4, EMU Soccer head coach Scott Hall was faced with the task of filling spots on his roster left by the departing of six players. In February, it was announced by EMU Athletics that Hall and his staff had added five players to their squad ahead of the 2015-2016 season.

Hall set out with the intention of filling not only positions that had been left vacant by graduating seniors but also with the goal of bolstering his team’s offensive attack. Out of the five players recruited for the team, three players, Mia Colavito, Mikayla Cupp, and Mackenzie Etienne, are midfielders. Peyton Davis is the sole forward and Kaylin Williams fills the last open goalkeeper position.

Colavito, coming to Eastern Michigan from Mississauga, attended Ontario-Loyola Catholic High School. Colavito joins the EMU roster as a midfielder, but also has the ability to play forward thanks to playing in an attacking midfield role in high school.

Coach Hall has gone on record saying that, “Mia [Colavito] is a shifty attacking player who is very skillful and quick.”

Cupp, a midfielder who was recruited from Otsego, Mich., has quite the pedigree behind her. Having been a three time 1st Team All-Conference player while at Otsego Public High School, Cupp helped her team to consecutive successful seasons. Adding to that honor is the nomination of 1st Team All-District, All-County, Rookie of the Year, All-Region and 3rd Team All-State on her career resume.

Also coming to EMU from Mich., is Mackenzie Etienne. Etienne enters the Eagles roster as a midfielder, but can also be used as an attacking forward. Hall described Etienne as a “tough central midfield player”, with attributes such as being “strong, athletic and intimidating” but also possesses a “fantastic touch and mind for the game.”

The lone forward of the 2015 recruiting class hails from North Ridgeville, Ohio. Peyton Davis is a full-fledged attacking player who captained Holy Name High School to a district championship. Also on Davis’ resume is nominations to the 1st Team All-Conference and 1st Team All-Greater Cleveland awards. Davis finished her season year with 14 goals and eight assists.

After it was clear that veteran goalkeeper Jenna O’Dell was not going to come back for her last season of eligibility in the 2015-2016 season, it left the Eagles with Megan McCabe as the only active goalkeeper on the roster. McCabe, who is coming off of an injury she acquired in the offseason, was going to need a fully capable goalkeeper to back her up in case she is needed.

Kaylin Williams was the goalkeeper chosen to fill the gap left by the exit of O’Dell. Williams was a mainstay in net for both her club team and high school team and is poised to potentially become the goalkeeper of the future after McCabe departs due to graduation after this season.

Williams picked up 1st Team All-Conference and 1st Team-All District mentions as well as Goalkeeper of the Year in 2013. In her senior year Williams also picked up nods as an All-District and All-Conference goalkeeper as well as being named conference goalkeeper of the year in 2014. Williams finished her high school career as Winnetonka High School’s record holder in shut-out’s with 9 and setting a record for saves in 2012 with 282.

EMU Women’s Soccer started their preseason training on August 4th, and will kick off their 2015-2016 season with an exhibition match against Oakland University on August 16th at Scicluna Field

Social Media:

Follow Robert Sherman on Twitter: @r__sherman