News briefs, Sept. 23

H2O Fitness Class

Now that summer is over, swimming for exercise is over. Or is it? The Rec/IM Club pool is going to be hosting an H20 Fitness Class. Starting Oct. 14, the pool-based exercise course will be held every Thursday at 12:30 p.m. The class is $60 a semester or $8 for a single day.

Salsa Night

There will be a Salsa Night in the Student Center Ballroom A, Thursday at 7:30 p.m. According to the EMU events calendar, a $5 donation will be welcome to support the Latino Advisory Council's scholarships.

Laugh Lounge

The first Laugh Lounge of the semster will be held in the Student Center Thursday, Sep. 24, at 9 p.m. The stand-up comedy open mic is free and open to the public, snacks will be provided.

Screening of Inside Out

Disney/Pixar's latest feature film, Inside Out, will be showing for free at the Student Center Friday at 8 p.m.

School of Social Work luncheon

The School of Social Work will be hosting a formal luncheon in the McKenny Ballroom at noon on Friday. According to a press release from the school, there will be a keynote speech by Yvonne Willis-Dulin. The nearly four-hour long program will include the following workshops:

“Teaching Race in the Classroom” with Doris Fields

“The Ongoing Struggle to Create Socially Just Schools” with Shayla Griffin

“Privilege Checklists: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsacks of class, race, gender, heterosexuality and more” with Paul Leighton

“Supporting Conversations between and among Girls and Women” with Sylvia Jones

If you are interested in attending, you'll have to RSVP at https://secureform.luxsci.com/forms/4891/2635/X3z3/form.html. The cost is $10.

Eastern Idol

Eastern Idol will be holding auditions in room 342k of the Student Center Wednesday Sep. 22 – Sep. 25 starting at 7 p.m. The auditions are free and open to all EMU students.

Banned Books

The annual Banned Books Week will be taking place on the first floor of Halle Library Sunday Sep. 27 starting at 8 a.m. All day the library will be home to “frequently challenged books,” according to ala.org. These books are not illegal, but are often censored. The event is free and open to the public.