Student Senate holds first committee meetings of the school year

Steven Cole, student body president, and Anjali Martin, student body vice president presented a proposed amendment to the Fiscal Year 2016 budget at all of the student government committee meetings Tuesday evening in the Student Center.

The resolution, B. Res. 102-02, proposes to add a new line item to the budget for $10,000, to be used to extend the hours of operation for the Rec/IM facility. It was passed by the Business and Finance committee 3-0-0, and will now be voted on by the senate at its regular meeting next Tuesday.

The Rec/IM, which used to close at 9:45 p.m., will stay open until 11:45 p.m., Monday though Thursday. The weekend hours will remain the same.

The projected cost for the increase is about $19,000 for 8 months. The Rec/IM covers the rest of the cost.

The new hours were implemented last year, but couldn’t be sustained without additional funding. Cole said the director of the Rec/IM announced an increase in attendance last year after the hours were extended.

Cole said the Rec/IM is an invaluable service for students on and off campus.

“I think that is an excellent use of our resources,” he said. “It’s something that directly benefits students immediately and will have a year long impact.”

Internal Affairs spoke about plans to recruit more students for the student senate.

“I want us to have as many people as we can on the senate to represent the student body,” Kiera Fegan, speaker of the senate, said. “Right now we are at an all-time low for senators and that makes me sad.”

Public Affairs spoke about the sexual assault programing it’s planning for Prevention Week, Feb. 8-11.

Business and Finance met and allocated funds to the following student organizations:

• Pinky Promise was granted $1,270 to hold a conference.
  • International Student Association was granted four allocations of $749.27, $262.19, $254.70 and $713.65 for events held for international students throughout the academic year.
  • The African Student Association was granted $1,845 to hold its African Cultural Show.
  • Academic and Student Affairs spoke about Club Halle, an event student government plans during finals to give students a break from studying.

The regular senate meeting will be held at 6:30 p.m., Sep. 22, in room 300 of the Student Center.