EMU Basketball puts on a show at Rock the Rec 3

Basketball season is upon us as the Eastern Michigan University men’s and women’s team displayed their talents at Rock the Rec 3 on Tuesday Oct 27. The event shaped up to be a thrill as both men’s and women’s teams wanted to show what they’ve been working on.

The EMU women’s basketball team showed up with t-shirts with the phrase “Unfinished Business,” referencing last seasons run to the Mid-American Conference championship game only to fall to the Ohio University Bobcats. Women’s coach Tory Verdi used Rock the Rec to show the audience that the team intends to finish what they started.

“I think Rock the Rec is a great event because it’s the kickoff to a new season. It’s a great way to celebrate basketball,” said Verdi. “Can’t believe that it’s here already. We’re really excited about the product we’re going to put out on the floor. We have some unfinished business to take care of. We were 20 minutes away from a MAC championship, so we’re ready to get out there and compete.”

Men's basketball guard Raven Lee showed the audience why he was selected All-MAC third team last season by winning the three point contest. While Tim Bond defended his crown in the slam dunk contest with a medley of thunderous dunks, including one from the free throw line. But most of all the men’s team is looking forward to getting the season underway.

“We love showing the people what we’re about this year, putting on a pretty good show,” said EMU redshirt sophomore guard Trent Perry. “We’re looking forward to the season. A lot of new faces on our team, lots of exciting faces. We’re going to have a strong year.”

“It’s always good to get a chance for our new guys and our old guys to reacquaint themselves with the student body and our fans here at EMU. It gives them a chance to see the product that we’re going to put on the floor in a few weeks,” explained EMU men’s coach Rob Murphy. “It’s a good time and it shows that the season is about to start so we’re excited about that.”

The Eastern Michigan basketball season will kick off for the women on Nov. 10 when they play Wayne State University; and the men will kick off Nov. 13 when they play the University of Vermont. Both games will be at the Convocation Center.