Football Notebook: Reggie Bell cleared, can Eagles sack Phillip Ely?

Following a 47-21 homecoming loss to Akron this past Saturday, Eastern Michigan coach Chris Creighton will take his team to face number 22-ranked University of Toledo this coming Saturday.

Roback returns home:

Eastern Michigan redshirt sophomore quarterback Brogan Roback will get the start Saturday in his hometown of Toledo, OH.

"I haven't talked to him yet," Creighton said. "I know that he'll be really excited going back."

Heading into Saturday, Roback is currently tenth in the Mid-American Conference in passing efficiency at 130.5.

Roback last played at Toledo as a freshman in 2013 and went 11-22 for 209 yards and two touchdowns. Roback also threw an interception in the 55-16 loss.

Facing a ranked Toledo team:

Eastern Michigan will head into a matchup against a ranked team for the second time in three weeks as they face the University of Toledo Rockets.

“They’re really good, they deserve that ranking," Creighton said. "Our guys seem to be excited about those games and challenges. We’ve had two road games and we’ve played pretty well on the road.”

This will be the third road game of the Eagles season. They defeated Wyoming, 48-29, on Sept. 12 and fell to Louisiana State University, 44-22, on Oct. 3.

Bell cleared:

Eastern Michigan redshirt sophomore quarterback Reggie Bell will suit up for Saturday’s game at Toledo according to Creighton. 

“He has been cleared,” Creighton said at Monday’s press conference. “He’s been able to practice some without a helmet. It was a jaw injury so his legs have been healthy and he’s been able to throw, he just hasn't been able to wear a helmet and hasn't been able to be in contact.”

Bell broke his jaw in week one against Old Dominion and has been out the past five weeks.

Can Eagles sack Ely?:

The Eagles will face Toledo quarterback Phillip Ely who missed most of last season with a knee injury. Ely was impressive this past Saturday against Kent State where he led the Rockets to a 38-7 victory, going 19-32 for 205 yards and throwing two touchdowns.

Ely has yet to be sacked this year and Eastern Michigan currently has ten sacks on the season.

“The challenge of nevers is a great challenge,” said defensive coordinator Brad McCaslin. “Our guys will be very hungry to capitalize on it.”

Social Media:

Follow Andrew Mascharka on Twitter: @MascharkaPhoto