Students organize Minority Students Resource Fair

The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Black Student Union and NAACP organized the Minority Students Resource Fair, from 5-7 p.m. Tuesday in Student Center room 310.

“This is an organization resource fair,” said Wen’Zell Franklin, a senior majoring in business administration. “It's pretty much to network and collaborate [on] resources.”

Franklin is the president of the EMU chapter of the National Pan-Hellenic Council. He and the other organizers were looking for 150-200 students to attend.

Music was provided by a D.J. as students perused the options and resources available to them. Booths ranged from national organizations, like the NAACP, to Greek life, which is more localized.

The Epsilon Eta chapter of the Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity has been on campus since 1959. Alpha Phi Alpha was the first black student fraternity in the United States. It was founded in 1906 at Cornell and has since expanded nationwide.

Justin Schrafer, a graduate student majoring in business administration and organizational leadership, assisted in organizing the resource fair.

“We have tons of resources in here,” Schrafer said. “This is trying to teach you how to use your resources.”

Another resource was The SELF Project, which stands for Success in Education, Leadership and Friendship. This group was founded in August. The group was invited to this fair to reach out to the minority community on campus, but this is an organization for all students.

Tanasia Morton is the president and co-founder of the organization.

“We take freshmen and sophomore women and pair them with upperclassman in a mentor [and] sisterhood type of relationship,” said Morton, a junior majoring in political science.