Attempted kidnapping at Peninsular Place

There was a kidnapping attempt at 6:40 p.m., Monday, at the Peninsular Place. Police said they came across a group of men in a stairwell at the complex, interrupting a kidnapping and a robbery in progress.

According to a press release from the Ypsilanti Police department, there were three suspects. One of them, a 21-year-old Belleville resident, was arrested. Two unidentified suspects escaped. The press release did say that the suspect and victim knew each other.

"I do not believe, but can't confirm at this time if either the suspect or victims were students," Ypsilanti police Lt. Deric Gress said by email. "We would notify EMU if that was the case."

The names of the subjects were not immediately available. When the police found the victim and suspects, the press release says they had a gun to the victim's abdomen. The Ypsilanti police department drew their weapons, but didn't have to use force to resolve the situation.

Once the victims was safe, police found out that this started when the suspects forced the victim into a white sedan and "drove the victim down to the end of railroad street where they made a plan to rob him."

Police said the suspects were planning to do this by going back to the victim's apartment, where the victim struggled and then the police showed up. The suspect who was arrested was taken to the Washtenaw County Jail. The Bellville resident was on parole in Wayne County and there were several felony warrants out for that person.

"The standard we use in this county is that if a subject is arrested without a warrant, then we expect that the prosecutor's office will make a decision within 48 hours," said Steven Hiller, a spokesperson for the Washtenaw County Prosecutor's Office.

Attempts to contact the Department of Public Safety were not immediately successful.