Black Friday: Profit, deals and deaths

Black Friday—the day of large sales and crazy shoppers—is upon us once again. A day where you work off all the calories consumed from Thanksgiving dinner.

In 1924, the start of the modern Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade, the Friday after Thanksgiving, was unofficially announced as the start of Christmas shopping. In 1960, the term “Black Friday” was coined to name the start of our Christmas shopping season. Accounting records were originally kept by hand and black ink was used to show to a profit and red ink indicated a loss.

According to blackfridaydeathcount.com, Black Friday has reported 7 deaths and 98 injuries since 2006. The website includes links to the stories of each injury or death. So, it is important to be cautious when showing up to a store right when the doors open because being trampled caused many of these injuries.

Wal-Mart will be jumpstarting their Black Friday sales and they will open at 6 p.m. on Thanksgiving. There will be other sales online as well. They have a lot of sales on video game items, DVD’s, cell phones and cameras, as well as toys and clothes for all of the family.

Target’s doors and Black Friday sales also open at 6 p.m. They have many great door-buster sales. Target is even giving out gift cards when you buy a gift card marked item, such as an iPad Mini, iPad Air or Apple Watch.

Kohl’s will be giving out $15 in Kohl’s cash for every $50 spent. They will be pricing their jewelry around 70 percent off. Toys at Kohl’s will be 20-50 percent off on Black Friday. Cookware and kitchen prep is 40-70 percent off. Other categories are having many sales too.

Macy’s is giving out a savings pass to use from 6 p.m. Thursday to 1 p.m. Friday. This can get you $10 off a $25 purchase on select clearance, sale and home items or $20 off a $50 purchase on select clearance, sale and home items. Sales at Macy’s include many different rebates available on certain items.

Meijer has many great sales on sleepwear and apparel for everyone in the family. Certain active wear, candles, men’s, women’s and children’s clothing and other items are buy one get one free. Fine jewelry is 80 percent off. There are sales on food and toys as well.

Preparing a list of items wanting to buy on Black Friday is the first step to a successful shopping day. Finding these items or substitutes for these items in Black Friday sales advertisements before your shopping trip can help save money and time. It is always fun to go and browse until you find the right items.

Visit https://blackfriday.com/ads to find accessible links to stores Black Friday deals.