News Briefs, Nov. 1

Monday, Nov. 2

Sigma Nu will host the second annual Cleanin' Up Ypsi at 6:30-8 p.m., Monday, at 125 North Normal Street, to pick up litter around town. They will be providing sanitary gloves, bags, snacks and drinks for the volunteers.

South Tunnel, one of two steam pipes used across campus, will be turned back on on Monday after needing repairs due to a leak. Physical Plant maintenance and operations manager, Mike Monarch, said the leak was the result of "normal wear and tear."

Tuesday, Nov. 3

The documentary Gen Silent will be screened at 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday in Marshall 108, This is a documentary about 6 LGBT people in the healthcare industry. They have to decide how open they want to be about their sexuality and how it affects them long-term in the healthcare industry. This is LBC approved event is being hosted by the APSO and LGBT Resource Center.

EMU's Don't Blame it on the Alcohol session will be held from 7-9 p.m., Tuesday, in the Student Center, room 310. This is a chance for students to learn about how to drink responsibly. There will be free refreshments. This event is free and LBC approved.

Wednesday, Nov. 4

Timothy Davis of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory will be giving a lecture on Lake Erie’s toxic algal bloom last summer at 3:30 p.m., Wednesday, in Mark-Jefferson 154. The event is free and LBC approved.

Dia de los Muertos will be celebrated from 6:30-9 p.m., Wednesday in the Best lounge. The free event is going to have food, dancing, face painting and music. RSVP to Rosaly Maldonado at rmaldon2@emich.edu. This celebration of the lives of the departed is LBC approved.

The Native American Student Organization is hosting Fall Feast at 6 p.m., Wednesday the Student Center ballroom. There will be traditional Native American culture and food. Keynote speaker Kyle White will be giving a lecture on his work at the United Nations. This free event is LBC approved.

Eastern Michigan University faculty member Sandra Jackson will be performing Brahms, Horowitz, Mendelssohn and Ewazen on the clarinet, at 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, at the Alexander Music Building. Jackson will be supported by Lucia Uranu on the piano, David Pierce on the bassoon and David Jackson on the trombone. The event is free.