News Briefs, Nov. 3

Thursday, Nov. 5

Everyone knows about Germany occupying Poland in World War Two. But what about when they occupied it in World War One? EMU professor Jesse Kauffman talks about this in his new book, “Elusive Alliance: The German Occupation of Poland in World War One.” He will give a lectuer on the topic from 5-6:30 p.m., Thursday, in Halle Auditorium. This edition of the History Section Speaker Series is LBC approved.

V for Vendetta, a movie about freedom and safety, will be playing in a special viewing at 7 p.m. in the Student Center Auditorium. The showing is free.

Campus life and the EMU Poetry Society will be hosting Lyric Lounge at 9 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 5 in room 300 of the Student Center. This event is free and open to the public, sign-up begins at 9 p.m. snacks are provided.

Friday, Nov. 6

Fifth Floor Fridays is an event by the BCBSM, Delta Dental, Atena, the TIAA-CREF and EAP for "wellness benefits" from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Rec/IM. Free lunch is available.

All Time Low and Sleeping with Sirens will be playing from 7-11 p.m. at the Convocation Center. Ticket prices range from $27.25 to $37.50. There are three levels and tickets are still available.

Saturday, Nov. 7

EMU Hackathon will run from 11 a.m., Saturday, to 3 p.m., Sunday, in 201 Pray-Harrold. Programmers of every level will have 24 hours to solve a problem and earn prizes. Prizes include Raspberry Bi Systems and flash drives. Teams of up to five can choose their difficulty level. A cap of 75 students, due to space, is enforced. Corporations looking for interns may be there.

Sunday, Nov. 8

Dady Mehta will give an Emeritus performance at 4 p.m. in Pease Auditorium. This free concert will include music by Bach, Shostakovich and Schubert.

The NAACP will be holding a Black Male Showcase from 5-9 p.m. in the Student Center Ballroom. This showcase “aims to celebrate and acknowledge our black men in a positive light and eliminate the stereotypes that are often associated with black men.” This event is free.