Student Senate holds regular meeting, Nov. 3

Senator Joshua Starr gave an update on the Student Association of Michigan, an organization that represents all public universities in Michigan, at the regular Student Senate meeting Tuesday night in the Student Center.

He said the association has focused on voter registration at the last two conferences.

“Particularly registering over 2,600 students,” Starr said. “That’s our goal by January.”

He said it is also focusing on reforming diversity policies at universities, making campus food affordable, increasing tuition wavers for Native American students to increase enrollment and the Stand for SAM campaign, which increases awareness of SAM and the issues facing college campuses.

Anjali Martin, Student Government vice president, and Kiera Fegan, speaker of the Senate, went through senator announcements.

Martin addressed a podium request from several senators. The podium would be for speakers addressing the Senate. Martin said the podium would cost $50 per meeting and would cause a space problem.

She said once the Senate is moved into room 310B of the Student Center, where the meetings will predominantly be held during the winter semester, a podium can be used for meetings.

“We’re hoping to put one in the room next semester since many of [the senators] suggested that there was a concern about us not having a podium in here,” Martin said.

Minutes for the meeting can be found at the Student Government Website. Committee Meetings will be held Tuesday, Nov. 10 in the Student Center.