Weekend Recap: Eagles split games at Air Force Tournament

Hitting the road for its first game in the Air Force Classic Tournament, the Eastern Michigan University women's basketball team (4-2) squared off and defeated the Falcons of Air Force by a score of 72-59 on Friday, but was then handed a defeat at the hands of Abilene Christian University by a score of 83-59. 

Victory over Air Force

Junior Cha Sweeney led the way for the Eagles on Friday, scoring a game high 19 points including an 11 point first quarter. Sophomore Phillis Webb provided 15 points and Sasha Dailey added 12 points. An impressive spark from the bench was Chanise Baldwin with an 11 point and 10 rebound double-double performance, in the teams 72-59 victory over the Falcons.

The Eagles showed its relentless defense by pressuring the ball with a full-court press, by forcing 19 turnovers on the night along with 12 steals. The defense kept the Falcons out the paint, allowing only 12 points down-low and forcing Air Force to shoot 37 percent (23-63) from the field. The Eagles ran the board against the Falcons, winning out by a total of 44-40, including an impressive 11-rebound night for senior Sera Ozelci won the rebound battle.

Eagles shot 43 percent for the game, but what got the team was their 50 percent (17-34) shooting in the first half. EMU went to the line 13 times in the game knocking eight of them. Key stat for the game was the points in the paint for the Eagles scoring 38 in the interior.

Senior Taylor Parker led the way for the Falcons with 12 points and her teammate sophomore Cortney Parker earned 11 points before fouling out the game.

Defeated by Abilene Christian

The Eagles struggled offensively throughout the Saturday afternoon matinee game with its turnovers and missed shots being the story of the night. EMU shot 29 percent (20-70) from the field, but shot 38 percent from behind the arc. The three point shot began to fall a little too late in the ball game as the Wildcats were already up by a large margin.

Junior guard Sweeney scored a team-high 15 points, but struggled from the field shooting only 22 percent (5-22). Ozelci scored 12 points, all from behind the arc. The rebound battle was won by the Eagles with a tally of 50-43 as senior Rachel Kehoe and junior Phillis Webb both collected nine boards.

The Eagles struggled just as bad defensively, allowing the Wildcats to shoot 43 percent (29-67) and 40 percent from behind the arc (14-35). The deficit broke out in the third quarter for the Eagles being outscored 21-11. The Wildcats scored 23 points off of the Eagles 18 turnovers in the game.

Junior Alexis Mason led the Wildcats with a game-high 29 points including seven threes along with six assists. Senior Whitney West scored a 20 points and collected seven boards, while junior Lizzy Dimba provided 10 points and 11 boards.

Looking Forward

The Eastern Michigan women's basketball team will get a chance to bounce back with another road game as they travel to Massachusetts to face the Crimson of Harvard University on Dec. 8., at the Lavietes Pavilion.