Jock Jamz 2016 rocks Pease

The fifth annual Jock Jamz brought multiple Eastern Michigan University athletic teams to Pease Auditorium to show off their lip-syncing and dancing skills. The wrestling, baseball, softball, rowing, men's and women's track and field, gymnastics and women’s soccer teams took the stage to compete for bragging rights and the 2016 Jock Jamz trophy.

“This is our fifth annual event and something that the athletes look forward to every year because we have so much fun,” noted Julia Lombardi, president of the SAAC executive committee. “It’s a big way to unite our teams. The biggest benefit is that we get to give back to our community; and all the funds go to Ypsilanti Community Schools.”

The lip-syncing took a backseat to the performances that occurred on stage. As the teams went through a medley of songs that they chose, the auditorium exploded with laughter and applause. Highlights included the rowing team’s rendition of Drake’s “Hotline Bling,” the gymnastics team doing a performance of “Circle of Life” from the "Lion King," using coach Jay Santos' baby, Cooper, in the performance.

The baseball team’s performance included a rendition of Kelly Clarkson’s “Since U Been Gone,” with one of the players portraying a crazed fan that rushes the stage. The wrestling team involved a chorus line and a tandem backflip.

But it was the combined effort of the men and women’s track and field teams that would take home the trophy. Not only did they break up into couples and dance, but also their performance of Drake’s “Big Rings” included one of the members showing off the team’s championship rings to the crowd. The team even created a soul train line, with EMU Athletic Director Heather Lyke dancing down it.