MSA Relay for Life to hold community plunge for cancer

Eastern Michigan University’s Muslim Student Association Relay for Life team will be holding a fundraiser, the Purple Plunge, on Wednesday, Jan. 13 starting at 1:00 p.m. in the university park and lake to benefit the American Cancer Society.

The polar wade event is open to EMU students, faculty and the Ypsilanti community. Individuals will be plunging into the icy lake in the university park to raise money for those battling cancer.

There will be a lobby table set up in the Student Center on Monday, Jan. 11 and Tuesday, Jan. 12 between 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. for participants to register in advance. Participants are encouraged to read the plunger tips and policies that will be available at the tables and on MSA’s social media outlets.

Check-in for the Purple Plunge will begin the day of at 12:00 p.m. at Big Bob’s Lake House. Registration will still be available that day for participants between 12:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.

The Huron Valley Ambulance EMS and the Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Department Dive Team will be in attendance to assist with the event and to monitor plungers.

After plunging, participants can enjoy a warm-up area as well as hot coffee provided by Biggby Coffee between 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. The showers at the Rec/IM will also be available for use.

The fee to register is $10 for students with a valid student ID and $20 for non-students.

For more information regarding the Purple Plunge contact Halimah Al-Qadi at halqadi@emich.edu or the MSA organization at msa.emu@gmail.com. MSA EMU can be found on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.