News Briefs, Jan. 26

Rev. Dr. Jamie Washington will be giving a lecture on privilege, Thursday, January 28th, in the Student Center's room 310 A at 7:00 p.m. According to the EMU calendar, the "president and founder of the Washington Consulting Group and the Social Justice Training Institute" will be examining privileged identities and communities. This is free and LBC approved.

That same evening, the Latino Student Association will be hosting their first annual Quinceanera in the Student Center's Ballroom B, at 7:30 p.m. The EMU calendar says this will be a chance to learn about "this traditional milestone in a Latina's life," from a historical perspective. There will be food, music, and dancing. Attendees are asked to dress formally. This is free and LBC approved.

Rev. Dr. Jamie Washington will host another lecture on white privilege that will be followed by a staff discussion on the subject on Friday, January 29th, at 9:00 a.m. This will be at the Student Center, room 350.

Eastern Michigan University's swim and dive teams will be competing against Bowling Green University at 5:00 p.m., Friday. This MAC meet will be at the James Pool.

Bridge of Spies is going to be the Friday night movie. Tom Hanks stars in this Steven Spielberg movie about a run of the mill American lawyer, who gets sucked into an international incident that could potentially end in nuclear war if he gets it wrong. This is based on a true story about a CIA agent whose spy plane was shot down by the Soviets. Hanks stars as the lawyer, who is sent to Berlin to negotiate swapping an American spy for a Soviet one that the Americans caught. This movie has a 91 percent on Rottentommatoes.com. This will be free at 8:00 and 10:30 p.m.

The EMU Gymnastics team will be competing against Northern Illinois at 4:00 p.m., as well as the EMU wrestling team, Saturday, January 30th. This unusual pair up of sports will cost a flat rate of $10 and will be held in the Convocation Center.