Students, faculty and guest artists to perform in 'Dialogues with Gravity'

Eastern Michigan University’s Department of Music and Dance will be starting off the year with their 64th Annual Faculty and Guest Artist Dance Concert in Quick Theatre this weekend.

The concert will be mixed repertoire where students, faculty and guest performers will be showcasing their talents through the art of different dance genres such as ballet, modern, jazz and musical theater, all in both contemporary and classical styles.

“Some pieces are serious and some very funny,” said production coordinator, choreographer and professor of dance at EMU, Sherry Wilkinson. “The pieces are all so unique and different so everyone will find something to enjoy.”

This year, the guest choreographers will be all artistic directors of dance companies where students will have the opportunity to be hired.

“We wanted to give our students not only the opportunity to work with these fabulous choreographers but open the door for them for future work opportunities,” she said. “It’s a win-win for all involved.”

The concert will run approximately 90 minutes with one intermission.

There are nine different pieces total where students will be dancing the pieces choreographed by the guest artists and faculty. Five of the pieces will be performed the first half of the show and four in the second.

“Our students are amazingly talented. For the audience, it’s an opportunity to view a variety of dance, live in a theater,” said Wilkinson. “Live events have an energy about them that our technology cannot replicate.”

The guest artists that will be participating are the following: Erik Abbott Main, Christina Sears Etter, Jodie Randolph, Joori Jung and Wendi Dubois.

Wilkson, as well as faculty member Phil Simmons and EMU student Megan Scheppleman will be choreographing the show.

The performances are Jan. 15 and 16 at 8 p.m. and Jan. 17 at 2 p.m. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased calling 734-487-2282, visiting 799 N. Hewitt Rd., Ypsilanti, emutix.com and at the door in Quirk Hall.