News briefs Feb. 13.

Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders will be visiting Eastern Michigan University at 2:00 p.m., Monday, Feb. 15, at the Convocation Center. He will talking about his candidacy and policies he would like to put in play should he be elected. Doors open at 12:30 p.m. According to Sanders’ campaign web site, this free event is going to focus on college affordability, health care and "getting big money out of politics.” This is free and open to the public, but the campaign has asked people to RSVP.

The Student Center is going to put together a roller rink, Monday, Feb. 15, from 5:00 to 9:00 p.m. Free roller skates will be available to anyone interested.

The EMU Student Center will be playing Brother Outside: The Life of Baynard Rustin, Monday. Rustin was a Civil Rights activist and openly gay man in the 1960’s. He helped organize the 1963 March on Washington. This PBS produced documentary follows his life and involvement in the Civil Rights era, in a starkly, homophobic America. It will be screened in the Student Center room 301, from 8:00 to 9:30 p.m. It is sponsored by the CMA and LGBTRC as part of Black History Month. This screening is free and LBC approved.

Thinking Outside the Books is a panel discussion that will be taking place in the Halle Library’s G03 room, Tuesday, Feb. 16. The topic of “why you might consider alternatives to traditional textbooks" will be discussed, according to the EMU calendar. This discussion is free and hosted by the Creative Scientific Inquiry Experience program.

The English Department's Emeritus member Clayton Eshleman will be hosting his Cave Lecture in the Halle Library at 6:30 p.m., Tuesday. His hour-long talk will be on his poetry and observations of the ancient cave paintings in Lauscaux, France. This is free and LBC approved.

The Halle Library Auditorium will be playing Fruitvale Station at 5:00 p.m., Wednesday, Feb. 17. This 2013 film is about a 22 year old Bay Area man, Oscar Grant III. It follows him on the last day of 2008, as he deals with friends, enemies and strangers. It's based on the true story of an African American man, who was shot dead in a station by a white police officer. The film has been widely praised and has a 94 percent rating on rottentomatoes.com. This screening is free and LBC approved.

Unsung Journey will be an event on Civil Rights workers who have high achievements but have not been adequately recognized. The lecture on their contributions will be held at the Student Center Auditorium, Wednesday, from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. Special guests will be in attendance.

Mixed Drinks, Mixed Emotions, taking place Thursday in the Student Center Ballroom, is the combined effort of the Athletic Department and SAFE Now. SAFE Now is an EMU organization that exists "to decrease the negative stigma on our campus that surrounds talking about suicide and other mental health issues" according to their EMU page. The team-up with athletics will be welcoming Ross Szabo, who will be talking about mental health and substance abuse. This is free and LBC approved.

University of Michigan professor Stephen Berry will be at Halle Library at 5:00 p.m., Thursday to discuss the book the Jim Crow Routine, which examines race relations during that era. This is free and LBC approved.