Unarmed robbery on campus outside Pierce Hall

On Monday night, Feb. 8. between 10 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. an unarmed robbery occurred on EMU’s main campus at the north side of Pierce Hall. The victim was a male EMU student. He reported being approached by two subjects, one of which demanded his cell phone. The subject then punched the victim, causing a struggle, then the other subject became involved as well and the cell phone was captured. The victim was not physically injured during the struggle.

According to the victim the subjects are described as follows:

Suspect 1: African American male, of light complexion, approximately 26 years of age, approximately 5’ 11” tall and 230 pounds, wearing a tan jacket.

Suspect 2: African American male, approximately 24 years of age, approximately 5’9” and 170 pounds, wearing a black jacket, black pants, and a black skull cap.

If you have any information that would be of use regarding this incident please report it to the Eastern Michigan University Police at (734) 487-1222 or the anonymous tip line through Crime Stoppers at 1-800-SPEAK-UP. Questions for the Department of Public Safety can be sent to dps.questions@emich.edu. The Police Department dispatch center is located at 1200 Oakwood St. Ypsilanti. 

As usual, the Department of Public Safety would like the EMU community to keep these tips in mind when walking around campus:

• Be aware of your surroundings and look assertive.
  • Walk with friends or coworkers when possible. Contact SEEUS for nighttime escorts. 734-487-3387
  • Trust your intuition, if a particular situation makes you feel uncomfortable, choose an alternative.
  • If you feel threatened on campus, look for a blue light phone to call for assistance.
  • Program the number for EMU Police (734-487-1222) into your cell phone.