Student Government hosts Sexual Assault Prevention Week

Eastern Michigan University’s Student Government has been hosting Sexual Assault Prevention Week, running from Feb. 1 through Feb. 4. The week had four different events planned, all targeted at raising awareness of sexual assault and to help reduce stigmas against survivors.

Maya Rich, director of social justice for Student Government, believes sexual assault prevention is a “growing movement across college campuses to take part in” and said she thinks it is really important.

According to research presented from an article on CNN.com, in 2015, 23 percent of female college students experienced unwanted sexual contact, with 11 percent including penetration and oral sex. 34 percent of female seniors at the University of Michigan said they had experienced a form of sexual assault during their college career.

A survey conducted by the organization One in Four, which is dedicated to the prevention of rape through education and research, found that 50 percent of college women did not report severe sexual assaults because they did not think they were serious enough to report.

Along with the events they have put together for this week, Student Government and other campus organizations were found at lobby tables in the Student Center from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. each day inviting everyone on campus to sign a pledge to Speak Up and Stand Up if they see a form of sexual assault happening.

“We had over 250 people sign our pledge so far to intervene when they see these instances,” Rich said.

When signers pledge they received a teal bracelet, the national color for sexual assault awareness, which reads Speak Up. Stand Up. I Will.

Events taking place on campus this week are as followed:

Monday, Feb. 1: Screening of the Movie "The Hunting Ground" in the Student Center Auditorium at 6 p.m.

Tuesday, Feb. 2: Self-Defense course by DPS Officer Candace Dorsey for those identifying as females in the Student Center Ballroom from 5-8 p.m.

Wednesday, Feb. 3: Consent and Bystander Intervention Training in the Student Center room 310B from 7-9 p.m.

Thursday, Feb. 4: Survivor Resources Panel in the Student Center Kiva Room from 6-8 p.m.