Graduation party tips

The tassels have been flipped, congratulations given and the ceremony is finally over; you’ve graduated from Eastern Michigan University and now are part of the alumni family. Your family is waiting, stomachs are growling and now you need to figure out what to do next.

There are always the local restaurants to eat and celebrate at but, they’re packed full from the other graduates with their families. Which leaves you stuck waiting, if only you had planned that graduation party like you meant to!

With commencement around the corner there are many EMU students getting ready for those final projects, let alone thinking about hosting a graduation party. But for those that are planning on going through with an event, some simple tips may help along the way.

Aleah Robichaud, senior, decided to use Facebook to invite people for a quicker and more paper-friendly way to announce the big day. Her idea of a bad graduation party is “no one shows up and those who do puke on the grass… come on guys,” a situation she plans to avoid by having a limited amount of people having reasonable fun.

Along with keeping the fun under control and paperless invites, Robichaud may have her party “at a friends and I’ll fund myself with my parent’s help.” For Robichaud, a grad party would be that of a smaller group and enjoying her completion of college; a downsized and more intimate version of a traditional graduation party.

Although there are still some, like Helena Kuznia, senior, that are on the edge of giving up on party planning all together.

“The hardest part about planning a grad party,” Kuznia said, “is trying to stay focused on your classes while you plan!”

She, like many others, have gone back and forth on whether or not to throw a party in their honor. In her own words, Kuznia expressed that a bad graduation party would be “inside a tiny apartment and no one shows up.”

Aside from trying to balance school and planning, Kuznia continues to vive for that perfect graduation bash. “My dream grad party would be pool party style,” she said when going over her plans. “Lots of food and lots of people.”

For those looking to follow through with classic announcements and invitations, places such as OfficeMax or Meijer offer a variety of choices. Along with also being able to pick and make small party favors to give to attending guests.

“I find myself looking on Pinterest a lot,” Kuznia said, “there are so many cute and cheap ideas. I just want to make them all.”

Making a solid plan, reviewing other examples/parties and contacting/reaching out to places seems to be the cocktail Kuznia has picked up for planning her party. So let’s review; keep the fun under control, paper or paperless invitations are always an option and plan ahead of time so you’re not waiting at Tower Inn or Olive Garden for a seat.