News briefs, March 23

Eastern Michigan University’s Black Women’s Leadership Symposium will be starting at 6:00 p.m., Thursday, March 24, in the Guild Room of McKenny. This will be a five-person panel “examining the importance of joining in solidarity with other women of color and potential allies in efforts to elicit social change,” according to the EMU calendar. According to the Sistership Initiative’s Facebook page, one member of the panel will be Heather Neff, PhD, an EMU literature professor and director of the McNair Scholarship. It will also include Chiara Hensley, PhD, EMU’s assistant VP of Student Affairs, Trelawny Boyton, Director of Multiethnic Student Affairs at the U of M, social activist and EMU alumnus Doretha Thomas and Ann Lampkin-Williams, PhD, Special Councilor to the Chancellor for Inclusion and Strategic Projects at U of M – Dearborn. Attendance is free and LBC approved.

Seniors in the capstone class for the Bachelors of Fine Arts program began displaying their works in the Capstone Exhibition this week. They will continue displaying their works for free from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. throughout the week.

The EMU tennis team will be playing Akron at the Wasik Tennis Complex, Friday, March 25. This MAC opening game will be free, according to the EMU calendar.

The first game of the EMU baseball season will be at the Oestrike Stadium, Friday, starting at 6:00 p.m. They will be playing against Bowling Green University. According to the EMU calendar attendance will be free.

The EMU baseball team will have its second game against Bowling Green at Oestrike Stadium at 3:00 p.m., Saturday, March 26. Attendance is free.

The EMU baseball team will have its third game against Bowling Green at Oestrike Stadium at 1:00 p.m., Sunday, March 27. Attendance is free.

The EMU tennis team will be playing Buffalo at 1:00 p.m., Sunday. According to the EMU calendar, this will be free.